Cottage cheese is an extremely versatile food. It can be used as an additive to meals, eaten by itself or mixed with salty or sweet foods to make a delicious treat.
You may make an odd face at some of the suggestions below, but seriously – try them! Simple, quick and healthy (for the most part)!
Add It To
- Baked potato – replace your cheese and sour cream
- Macaroni and Cheese –give your everyday Macaroni and cheese a creaminess that is out of this world (this happens to be one of my favorites on this list)
- Lasagna – a great substitute for ricotta cheese
- Guacamole – makes an excellent filler and tastes delicious
- Crackers – top with your favorite veggies and you’ll have the perfect snack
- Potato Chips
- Scrambled Eggs – kick up your eggs with a healthy, cheesy flavor
Add to It
- Fruit – my favorites include diced tomatoes, mandarin oranges, pineapple and mango but just about any fruit goes great with cottage cheese
- Seasoning Spices – Lemon pepper, Mrs. Dash and old bay pair excellent with it
- Pico De Galo
As you can see, the possibilities are endless. Cottage cheese is an excellent source of vitamins, minerals and protein. It is high in protein and low in calories which is why it is highly recommended for weight loss and muscle gain. It can be used as a substitute for higher calorie/fat foods such as ricotta cheese, cream cheese and
Many body builders incorporate cottage cheese for the casein protein which is a slowly absorbed protein. In fact, it’s just as effective as whey protein at building muscle and better at inhibiting muscle breakdown due to its slower absorption